Final Paper. Due by Day 7. Write a five to six-page essay on the following topic: Why does a full understanding of our world require the humanities in addition to the sciences? Illustrate your discussion with reference to two specific primary texts assigned in this class, and explain what we can learn from those texts that goes beyond science. Choose two complementary texts that can be read as part of a conversation (i.e., one of the texts can be read as a response to questions raised by the other). You should refer to at least two secondary sources, but note that this is not a research paper. You should be able to complete the paper drawing only from the Required and Recommended Resources included in this course. (See the Week One Citing Sources tab for information on how to cite sources in this class.)
Your paper should be outlined as follows:
- In your introduction, include a clear definition of the humanities, including how they differ from the sciences, and a concise summary of how a humanistic understanding can sometimes go beyond a scientific one. (No more than one page.)
- In your next paragraph, explain the conversation that you will use to illustrate your claim about the humanities’ ability to contribute to our understanding. State which two texts you will use and summarize how one of them can be read as a response to a question raised by the other one. (No more than one page.)
- Give a detailed interpretation of your chosen texts, focusing primarily on those texts’ contribution to our understanding of the specific question you selected. You may need to summarize some aspects of your chosen texts before trying to explain their meaning, but your discussion should be primarily analysis rather than mere summary. In other words, explain the contribution of the texts to human understanding, not just what the texts say or what happens in their plots. (No more than three pages.)
- In conclusion, summarize how the insights of your chosen texts show that the humanities can go beyond science as you stated in your introduction and reiterate why the insights of the humanities are necessary to have a full understanding of our world. (No more than one page.)
The Final Paper
- Must be five to six double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted
according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Course name and number o Instructor’sname
- Must use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the primary text you are analyzing.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the
Ashford Writing Center.