BMET 323 Homework 5 Answers / Biomedical Equipment and Instrumentation II with Lab
CHAPTER 11 Instrumentation in Respiration
2. The body plethysmograph chamber has a volume of 25 × 104 cm3. When the patient breathes in the extreme inspiration and expiration cycle, the chamber pressure changes from 15 psi to 15.5 psi and the patient’s thorax pressure changes from 5 psi to 20 psi. Calculate the patient’s total lung capacity.
3. A spirometer has a radius of 15 cm and the maximum height of 10 cm. Determine the maximum gas volume of the spirometer. Also, determine the output voltage of the potentiometer at the maximum height. Given: battery voltage 12 V.
6. A valve separates two gas chambers, A and B. Chamber A contains one gas at 200 psi, while chamber B contains another gas at 300 psi. What will happen when the valve is opened? Can the gas pressures in chambers A and B be predicted?
15. Determine the inspiratory time when the patient is receiving continuous mandatory ventilation (CMV) in the control mode at a rate of 15 breaths/min and the expiratory time is 4 sec.
16. Determine the frequency of breathing when the patient is receiving continuous mandatory ventilation in the control mode and has an inspiratory time of 2.2 sec and an expiratory time of 4.3 sec.