STAT 200 STAT200 Quiz 2 Answers (UMUC)
• The quiz is worth 40 points total.
• The quiz covers weeks 3, 4, and 5.
• Make sure your answers are as complete as possible and show your work/argument. In particular, when there are calculations involved, you should show how you come up with your answers with critical work and/or necessary tables. Answers that come straight from program software packages will not be accepted.
• The quiz is open book and open notes. This means that you may refer to your textbook, notes, and online course materials, but you must work independently and may not consult anyone. The brief honor statement is on top of the exam. If you fail to put your name under the statement, your quiz will not be accepted. You may take as much time as you wish, provided you turn in your quiz via LEO by 11:59 pm EDT on Sunday, December 4, 2016.
1. (8 points) Assume that you make random guesses for 5 true-or-false questions.
2. (4 points) A high school with 1000 students offers two foreign language courses : French and Japanese. There are 200 students in the French class roster, and 80 students in the Japanese class roster. We also know that 30 students enroll in both courses. Find the probability that a random selected student takes neither foreign language course. (Show work and write the answer in simplest fraction form)
3. (6 points) Imagine you are in a game show. There are 4 prizes hidden on a game board with 16 spaces. One prize is worth $4000, another is worth $1500, and two are worth $1000. You have to pay $50 to the host if your choice is not correct. Let the random variable x be the winning.
4. (6 points) Mimi just started her tennis class three weeks ago. On average, she is able to return 15% of her opponent’s serves. If her opponent serves 10 times, answer the following questions:
5. (8 points) If the IQ scores are normally distributed with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15.
6. (4 points) Men’s heights are normally distributed with mean 69.0 inches and standard deviation 2.8 inches. Mimi is designing a plane with a height that allows 95% of the men to stand straight without bending in the plane. What is the minimum height of the plane? (Show work and round the answer to 2 decimal places)
7. (4 points) There are 10 members in the UMUC Stats Club.